11 Jan 2011

First Past The Post

Thought I'd have a bash at writing the first post and with some interesting Magic bits and bobs being spoiled yesterday i thought I'd pick up on those.

In the magic universe we're in the midst of a war, the dark forces of Phyrexia are trying to corrupt the metallic world of Mirrodin and subvert it's inhabitants. In the real world, we're waiting expectantly for the second set in the 'Scars of Mirrodin' block.

The first set saw Green and Black cards take up the fight of evil, with White and Red as the goodies, whilst Blue ambiguously sat on the fence dangling a foot into either property.
As with all sets recently there were three new mechanics; Infect, Metal Craft and Proliferate. As you would expect with a sequel these are staying with us in the next release, 'Besieged', but they are also being joined by three more.

Battle Cry
'Whenever this creature attacks, each other attacking creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn.'

Living Weapon (following the rules of the one example I've seen)
'When this equipment enters the battlefield, put a 0/0 black Germ creature token onto the battlefield, then attach this to it.'

Poisoned
This mechanic could be more varied in that it may not have a specific end effect. The example I've seen is as follows; 'Whenever ----- attacks, if defending player is poisoned, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn.' I would assume that with this mechanic there are going to be multiple variations on the last half of the ability i.e, possibly discarding cards, -1/-1's on blocker etc...

Another notable mutation (i guess) in this set, is seen in one of the spoiled cards 'Priests of Norn', a white card with infect!

Well I think that's all from me now, I don't wanna spoil anyone's creativity by writing about what I'd do with the new cards, I'm sure we'll write an article with ideas post-release :D I hope it's got your minds going and I'll see you at the pre-release (30/01/11).

Olly of Team Gambit

No comments:

Post a Comment